1.07.2011

Wow WOW WHOOPIE!

Like I mentioned on Monday, the week between Christmas & New Years, we celebrated my Grandmother's 85th Birthday. It typical style, there were trays, upon trays, upon trays of cookies. It's tradition. We do it at every overly large family function we have - graduation parties, milestone anniversaries, weddings. In fact, I think I still have some of my Aunts "No one makes them the way she does OR as Good as she Does" no-bake cookies in my fridge. NOM NOM!
And, on the cookies trays were these little round chocolate sandwich mounds of goodness. I eyed them with my skeptical eye. You see, it take a LOT to make me excited about a cookie. I bake a LOT, but, I tend to eat very little of what I make. Just how I am. But, these babies? They. BLEW. ME. AWAY. So much so, that I ate not one, not tow, but THREE of them. Perhaps this is why my face looks so puffy and pudgy this week. And, then over the course of the week as the leftover had made their way back to my parent's house? I continued to shove them in my mouth. I think I even snarled at someone when I discovered they were all gone.
Then? Someone told me that they were not scratch made - but made from a cake mix. Yikers! It doesn't get any easy than that. But, you see, I didn't want to wait for that specific recipe that had made the ones I just spent an entire weeks feeding on. Oh no. I goggled the idea of making whoppie pies out of a cake mix. I looked at several different recipes and then, thought. Ok. I can do this. And, I did. It also helped, that I ended up home at 1:30 in the afternoon the other day, because the child was sick. This meant I had a few extra hours of time to kill. Also, I took the easy road this time on the frosting. Madaline's requested cupcakes last Sunday and I had about 3/4 of a container of vanilla frosting in the fridge that needed to be used up.It's sinful to let frosting go to waste - even if it is out of a tub. So, cookies made from a cake mix and sandwiched together with tub o' frosting? Just fantastically delicious! I even think these would be best if they came along side a very tall, icy cold glass of full fat milk. But, I don't drink milk, so someone else if going to have to try that and let me know how it goes. And, beware, they might even make you go WOW WOW Whoppie! when your done eating.
Whoopie Pies
1 boxed cake mix (I prefer the kind that have the puddin' in the mix and I had a box of Chocolate Fudge in the cupboard)
3 Large Eggs
1/2 cup Water
1/2 cup Oil

Preheat oven to 400. In a bowl beat together all the ingredients until well combined. Drop by the 2 tablespoonfuls onto your cookie sheet, at least 2 inches apart. Bake 8-10 minutes, until puffed and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from pan to cool completely on a wire rack.

When cookies are completely cool place 1/2 of pies, flat side up, on a cooling rack. Mound 1.5 - 2 Tablespoons of your favorite frosting in the center of each. Spread to the edges of cookies in a nice even layer. Top with remaining pies, rounded side up, and press gently to make sandwich. Keep chilled in the fridge until ready to devour.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment