11.17.2010

RE-DO Recipe: Cheesy Saucy Balls Roll Up

Meatballs. I love meatballs. My family loves meatballs. Especially homemade meatballs. Besides, macaroni and cheese, I'd say that it ranks as one of my all time favorite comfort foods. There is just a certain kind of comfort one can find in a pot full of simmering sauce and meatballs. However, one can only eat so much spaghetti and meatballs. A few Sunday's ago we had a nice dinner. Toasted warm garlic bread and heaping plates of 'sketti and meatballs'. I am one to put more meatballs on my plate than 'sketti'. As are the other members of my family as well. Which always means that there is usually about a 1/2 pound of cooked sketti left but not too many saucy balls. So, the few I did have left, I tucked carefully inside a Tupperware container and put them in the back of the fridge. I hoped that that they would be there later in the week, as I had a plan brewing in my head.
Now - now of you might find it odd, me being Polish, that I have such an affinity for Italian food. Then again, I have an affinity for good food, regardless of origin, so perhaps it doesn't really matter. But, Italian food, GOOD Italian food takes up more space on my food chart than anything else. I like good pizza, good sauce, my noodles cooked al dente, cannolis (dear GAWD do I love me some cannoli) and occasionally, I like calzones. Now, the reason I say occasionally, is that most calzones for me have way to much bread, too much ricotta cheese and not enough of the other good filling ingredients. And, so as that plan I had brewing in my head? I was going to put my take my leftover saucy balls and make it kinda like a calzones.
As you can see, it certainly was not the prettiest meal I have ever pulled out of my oven. But, darn if it wasn't tasty. Part of me wonders that perhaps if I hadn't had the tiny hands of my Mayhem Maker helping to push and pull the dough as I spread it out on the pan, it would have looked more purdy. But, well, what fun would that be? Not matter how much of an eye sore it was, the two cheeses melted together perfectly with the quartered up saucy balls and oozed out of the sides in spots, where it was barely held together by the golden brown crispy pizza dough. Yum! It only took about 30-40 minutes total to make, from start to finish - depending on how brown you want your crust. I like mine crispy so I baked mine longer. Add really all you need to do add a little side salad, maybe a glass of good red wine and you have yourself a really easy weeknight dinner.

Cheesy Saucy Balls Roll Up
Leftover Meatball & Sauce, meatballs cut up into bite sized pieces (I had about 12 meatballs left over)*
6 slices Provolone Cheese**
6 slices Mozzarella Cheese**
1 tube of refrigerated thin crust pizza dough

*I see no reason why you'd have to wait until you had left over meatballs to make this - as I'm sure it would be just as tasty with frozen meatballs
**I get my cheese slices from the deli counter, that way I get to choose how thick or thin they are sliced. You could certainly use shredded mozzarella cheese or even one one of those Italian Blend shredded cheese. If your going the shredded cheese route - I'd use a total of 2 cups*


Preheat your oven to 400 degrees

Re-heat your leftover saucy balls (I choose to do this on the stove top, but I don't see why you couldn't do this in the microwave)

Roll out your pizza dough out to a 15" by 10" rectangle and place on a a cookie sheet.

Arrange all 6 slices of provolone cheese on top of dough. Evenly spread your heated through saucy ball mixture on top of provolone cheese. Arrange all 6 slices of mozzarella over top of saucy ball mixture.

Fold short sides of the dough in about 1-1.5 inches. Then, just roll it up like you would a jelly roll. Do you best to seal seam together and place seam side down in the in the center of your pan.

Bake, for about 20-30 minutes until a nice golden brown. Let sit for about 5 minutes before you slice.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hee Hee! You said "saucy balls"! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Screw it. I should just make meatballs for dinner next Thursday.

    ReplyDelete