11.03.2010

RE-DO Recipe: Cheesy Chili Pie

Last week I made a crock pot full of warm, steamy, slightly spicy chili. Nothing fancy - just some chili seasoning mix, 2 pounds of browned up ground beast, 1 can of kidney beans (drained & well rinsed), 1 can of tomato sauce, and 2 cans of diced tomatoes. Since, I am a crazy fanatic that likes crispy well browned ground beast - there was really nothing for the crock pot to do other than heat the ingredient through. So, I put it on low before I left for work, and then my husband turned it to warm at about noon. I didn't want it to burn. Yuck! Burnt, blackened, charred chili is not high on my list of things to eat.
And, so, after dinner Tuesday night and the Hubs & I both eating it as "chili" the next day for lunch leftovers, there was STILL some left. Nothing pains me more than throwing out food. Especially food that has meat of some kind it it - because meat is do damn expensive. And, so, for about another $5.00 (if that) I turned that chili into a whole different meal.
You can call it Chili Lasagna, Cheesy Chili Tortilla Bake, or what it's called in my house: 'Cheesy Chili Pie'. All are fitting. All, I know, is it was easy, simple, and the longest part of the whole dish was waiting for the oven to pre-heat to 400 degrees. It took me less than 10 minutes to put the whole dish together - and then about another 15 minutes it spent in the oven turning into this cheesy, bubbly, warm your body from the inside out pie plate full of goodness. Serve it with a salad or maybe even some quick Mexican corn saute (corn, peppers, onions - little butter - all heated together) and you've got yourself a complete dinner that is super flavorful and isn't going to break the weekly grocery budget.

Cheesy Chili Pie
Leftover Chili (I maybe had 3 cups of chili left)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
12 small flour tortillas

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly coat a 9" pie plate with cooking spray. Set aside.

Reheat chili (I reheated mine on the stove top - or you could easily do this in the microwave).

Line bottom of pie plate with 4 flour tortillas - overlapping each one slightly. Evenly distribute 1/2 of reheated chili on top of tortillas. Sprinkle chili with 1/2 cup of cheese. Top with another 4 tortillas, remaining chili and 1/2 cup of cheese.

Place remaining 4 tortilla shells on top and cover with remaining 1 cup of cheddar cheese.

Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until bubbly and cheese is melted.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment