10.25.2010

RE-DO Recipe: Caramel Apple muffin CAKE

So here's the deal. You want to make muffins. For breakfast or maybe as a snack. But, your out of those paper liners and no amount of cooking spray ever makes your muffins come out of the muffin pan in one piece. OR ~ perhaps your having one of those lazy moments where you just want to dump the whole darn batter in one pan instead of trying to get it evenly divided between 12 muffin cups. I find that to be such a pain at times - because I always end up with a muffin runt. But, finally - I have the solution. Turn your muffins into cake.You see, Very rarely does my husband come up with a suggestion for something that I make in the kitchen that makes me go "Hey - that's not a bad idea". And, as he was contemplating eating the paper liner on a Caramel Apple Muffin because they are that darn good, he said "you should make these a cake". And, so, shortly after this cooking epiphany, Carmel Apple muffin CAKE was created. Sweet spicy caramel goodness in a spring form pan. And, since it was a cake, I was able to pop it under the broiler once it was done baking to further crystallize the brown sugar and oat goodness on the top into a crust. A crust that crackles and provides a protective shell around everything you love so very much about gooey caramel with the still slightly crispy apple held together with warm cinnamon laced cake.
And, it was good. In fact, so good that by the time I remembered that I needed to take pictures of what a slice of this looked like, it was gone. Gone, gone, gone.

Caramel Apple Muffin recipe here

Follow caramel apple muffin as written. After you fold in the apples and caramels, pour batter into a well greased spring form pan. Top cake batter with brown sugar and sprinkle with oats.

Place spring form pan on cookie sheet and into a preheated 350 degree oven. Bake 40 - 45 minutes until toothpick inserted into cake part comes out clean. (I started checking min around the 35 minute mark. and I think I pulled mine at minute 42)

Preheat your broiler. Place cake under broiler for 5 - 7 minutes. Your just looking for the the brown sugar to create that crisp almost 'creme brulee' type crust. Just keep a close watch on it - as sugar burns quickly and there is NOTHING nastier than burnt sugar.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment