10.29.2010

Cinnamon Swirl Streusel Topped Pumpkin Muffins

I think I've made it rather clear how much I ADORE Fall. Right? I mean, how can you go wrong? Hearty soups, desserts that sooth and the versatility of fall ingredients. And, since we've been more into snacking on our apples this week and I wasn't in the mood to have to peel something. But, I wasn't feeling overly lazy either. So for what is quickly becoming weekly tradition of baking on Thursday's with my lil' Mayhem Maker, we decided to try our hand at Cinnamon Swirl Streusel Topped Pumpkin Muffins . (yeah, say that 3 times fast) For the most part, it is a very easy recipe. I had all the ingredients already in my cupboards. The only thing some folks might not have on hand is the pumpkin. But, since it's Fall, doesn't pumpkin automatically become a pantry staple? I know it does in my house. I actually think I buy a can each time I go to the store. I just don't want to not be able to get one. You know - like last year, when, it was like, GONE. In light of the simplicity of these muffins, I do have a few complaint and a few things I would do different next time I make them. I dirtied THREE bowls while making these - not to mention my food processor as well as countless other utensils. There is a LOT of kitchen clean up involved with these. Also, the recipe called for filling the muffin cups 1/2 way, sprinkling with the brown sugar filling, more muffin batter and finally the Streusel topping. It's too much muffin batter for a standard sized muffin tin. As you can see from my photos, while these are TASTY, they are not pretty. I like pretty baked goods. I like to be able to share them with others and not have them look at the plate and cringe. When I make these again, I'd only fill the muffin liner a 1/3 of the way, then the brown sugar mixture topping with more muffin batter. I'd also probably hold off on putting the Streusel topping on the muffins until about the last 10 minutes of baking. It's a heavy topping and really sinks into the batter. By waiting I I think it would allow the muffins to develop more of a crown. Also, if your using decorative liners - Maddy chose white liners with pumpkins for these out of the cupboard - I'd double line them. As, you are dealing with a melted sugar filling - that seeps into the liner - making the design disappear. Not that it really matters - but, if you are looking to maybe gives these away or take to a party, you are going to want to see the pretty liner. Also, if your looking for something that really packs a pumpkin punch, these are not for you. The star of this muffin is really the streusel topping and the brown sugar filling. The sweet stickiness of the brown sugar filling is balanced perfectly by the crunchy oat filled streusel topping. Combined with the cinnamon nutmeg cake like texture of the muffins that have just the slightest hint of pumpkin to them...... *sigh*......then they are for you. Hands down, the perfect breakfast treat on a chilly weekend morning.
Adapted, slightly, from Two Peas and Their Pod

cinnamon Swirl Streusel Pumpkin muffins.

Muffin Batter:
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoons nutmeg
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/3 cup water
1 cup canned pumpkin
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Brown Sugar Cinnamon Filling:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Streusel Topping:
1 1/4 cup oats
1 tablespoon flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into chunks

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two muffin tins with paper liners or spray with cooking spray. Set aside.

In a whisk together the dry muffin batter ingredients and set aside. In another arge bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, water, pumpkin, eggs, and vanilla extract. Whisk all the wet ingredients until smooth and combined.

Very slowly stir dry mixture into wet and mix until until just combined.

Brown sugar cinnamon filling: in a small bowl, mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together. Set aside.

For the Streusel topping: In a food processor (or you can use two knives or a pastry blender - I'm lazy and just my food processor) put flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and butter. Process until mixture starts to get crumbly and add oats. Pulse a few more times just to incorporate the oats.

Fill prepared muffin cups 1/3 of the way full, Sprinkle approx 1 Tablespoon of brown sugar cinnamon filling over each. Fill the muffins cups with the remaining batter. Top each muffin with Streusel topping (or wait until there's about 10 minutes of bake time left).

Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean Remove pans from oven and cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes then remove muffins from pans. You can eat these warm and they taste just as good the next day.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Excuse my while I wipe the drool from my keyboard! These sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete