9.20.2010

Fending

I know it's been quite a long time since you've heard from me, mostly since I don't live on my own and have to cook all of my meals.

Which abruptly changed a week ago when I moved into a Welsh flat. And inherited a kitchen, which, thankfully, came with a couple of pots, utensils, and some plates, cups, and other such kitchen stuff. I didn't have to worry about cooking on Monday because the International Office gave us meals in a bag - and I therefore had a tuna sandwich that night and some bran flakes the next morning - and went shopping Tuesday afternoon after a tour of town. So Tuesday was when I had to actually look at what I had bought, look at what I had to work with in terms of utensils, and figure out what to throw together that wasn't going to bloat me up like a balloon.

Baked wheat penne. With a salad and a slice of wholemeal bread and a glass of pinot grigio.

The glass of pinot grigio confirmed that I do indeed dislike white wine.

I don't have a picture of any of that. And there was a little bit of a joke Thursday when I got internet and was finally able to IM my sister that I was turning into a vegetarian because I hadn't bought any meat.

The reason that I didn't buy any meat was that I hesitated since I'm not really sure how to cook it so that it tastes good.

Well, today I bucked up and bought myself some chicken breasts and minced beef (ground beef, for everybody reading in the U.S.) and decided that I was having a grilled cheeseburger tonight. Along with a salad and some red wine in a coffee mug. Legit wine glasses are a little difficult to come by. Coffee mugs? Not so much.

Not quite like dad makes it, but close enough.

And really, if I give myself food poisoning there's only one person to blame.




(I am well aware that it's cock-eyed kiddy whumpus but I don't really know how to fix that. I do, however, know how to make soft-shell tacos using chili mix instead of taco seasoning. But that's a story for another time.)

2 comments:

  1. You have a coffee mug....but do you have coffee. That would have to be my top priority.

    When I lived alone...I ate a lot of salad, bread, cheese and wine. It's still my favorite meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do beef, chicken, grilled cheese, wine, and eggs. Mostly. But my breakfast selection has definitely increased. And by increased I mean, there's now cereal and oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete