8.13.2010

Farmer's Market Friday: Blueberry Oatmeal Bread

Every Thursday, on my lunch hour, I go to the Corning Farmer's Market. I do the best I can with making sure that we always have fresh fruits and vegetables in the house, but it can get pricey at the local grocery store. Which is why a Farmer's Market is so awesome. The prices great, the produce picked at the peak of perfection and I am supporting local farmers. It's really a win-win. Yesterday for about $20.00 I came home with sweet corn, cucumbers, baby tomatoes, green peppers, lettuce, fresh garlic, peaches, and of course, blueberries. *wow* And, not to mention the most vibrant bunch of zinnias in shades of red and pink to brighten up the dining room table.
I am not a huge fan of blueberries in this natural state. But, between last week and this week the my favorite vendor has had the most tasty, vibrant, most beautiful lookin' pints of blueberries for sale. *drool* So good in fact, that last week, as Madaline was helping me wash and prep the produce, she devoured so many of the blueberries that there were not enough left for bread or muffins or pancakes. So,this week, I got smart. I separated what I needed for this loaf of bread AND then I let her know that I had them all washed, rinsed and ready for snacking. *win-win*
Now, I mentioned that I am not a huge fan of a raw blueberry. BUT - put it in a cake...a muffin...or even a quick bread, and I am good to go. (and, yes, my dislike for the raw blueberry also extends to the cooked realm as it applies to blueberry pie and blueberries used in crisps and crumbles) (YES....I know I am weird). And, I adore anything that contains Oatmeal - a cookie, a cobbler, a crisp, a cake, a muffin or a quick bread. But, to sit down and eat a bowl of Oatmeal - ahhh...I think not. *gag*Moving on. SO - here, I get what I like best - Cooked Blueberries and Oatmeal, in the form of a somewhat good for you, yummy, bread. I say good for you, because this recipe used brown sugar instead of white and you could very easily substitute applesauce for the oil in a 1:1 ratio.
It made the house smell divine as it was baking last night and this morning I cut myself a slice, dropped it in the toaster.....and OH MY GOODNESS - It was a TOASTY OATMEALY BLUEBERRY HEAVEN.


Blueberry Oatmeal Bread
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup milk (I used regular, 2% cows milk)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 1/4 cups flour (I used all-purpose)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oat
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries that have been thawed & drained (I used fresh)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease the bottom ONLY of an 8 or 9 inch loaf pan.

Whisk together the brown sugar, milk, oil and eggs until well combined. Set aside and sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add oats to the flour mixture. Reserve 2 teaspoons of flour mixture. Combine the dry ingredients with the wet. Toss blueberries with reserved flour mixture and gently fold into bread batter. Pour into prepared pan and sprinkle top with additional oats.

Bake for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (Mine spent an hour in the oven and my oven temp is fairly spot on). Cool in pan, on wire rack for about 10 minutes. Run a knife around to loosen from pan; remove from the pan and cool completely, about 2 hours on a wire racks.

Wrapped tightly, bread can be stored at room temperature for up to 4 days or up to 10 days in the fridge.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds really good! I can't wait for the temps to drop so I can bake.

    I didn't think I liked blueberries at all until I had kids and served them to the babies. Turns out I do like them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird that my comment disappeared into the never! Can't remember what I aid, but it went something like this:

    I will have to make this recipe! I end up picking gobs of blueberries between now and the middle of September and am always loooking for awesome things to make. You'll have to try my apple bueberry crumble. Everyone who's tried it has asked for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete