3.18.2010

Peabutteroos!

I gave up baked goods for lent. This includes brownies, cookies, muffins, scones, quick breads, cake, pie and I threw in donuts for good measure. I also gave up soda, but we won't talk about that because discussing how much I miss my beloved diet coke makes me weepy.

But these tasty treats? They don't bake. They didn't require me to turn on the oven. Nope. Just a sauce pan on top of the stove. Think of them as rice krispie treats on steroids. Ok?

As most of you know, I really prefer my cookie bars to be ooey and gooey. Remember this post? But these, they are not technically a cookie bar, so I want these to be chewy. Chewy like caramel. Chewy like salt water taffy. Chewy like they are going to pull all the fillings out my teeth that my parents paid the local dentist years ago to put in.

And, oh my good gracious they are peabutterootastic!

Recipe adapted from Buns in my Oven

*1 cup light corn syrup
*1 cup sugar
*1 cup peanut butter
*1 tsp vanilla extract
*6 cups crisp rice cereal
*1 pkg of chocolate & peanut butter chips


Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cookie spray. (This is not the time to be stingy with the cooking spray)

Add sugar and corn syrup to sauce pan and stir over medium heat until it reaches a rolling boil. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla. (mine don't have vanilla in them, I forgot and I didn't know the difference)

In a large bowl, add six cups of crispy rice cereal. Pour on the peanut butter mixture and stir until all the cereal pieces are coated. Spread in prepared pan.

In a double boiler (or the microwave like I did because I didn't want to drag out my double boiler) melt the chips. Spread on top of cereal and refrigerate for 3 hours or until set. Cut into squares.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment