12.04.2009

Toffee Choclate Chip Cookie Bars


It is safe to say that I have been on the hunt for a basic Blondie bar recipe for a while. One that I could manipulate according to what ever mood I was in. Think of it it like owning multiple pairs of black shoes - a black shoe is a black shoe, in that the color is the same, but they are infinitely different at the same time. Each difference may be very subtle, whether it be heel height, style, or material, but, it is an important difference in how it pulls together an outfit. Cookie bars are the same way. Once you have a standard base recipe, you can tailor your add ins, much like you choose one pair of black shoes over another.


I also believe that when it comes to cookie bars, that folks fall into one of two categories. You are either a Soft & Chewy or an Ooey & Gooey. Really...Ask yourself...What to you look for in a cookie bar? No crust? Hard Edges? Everything but the kitchen sink added in? Just some chocolate chips? No nuts? And, most importantly, Soft & Chewy or Ooey & Gooey? When I asked myself what I was looking for, I realized that that I wanted a subtle, complex mix of flavors. No hard edges, I always only eat the inside pieces, and they MUST BE SOFT & CHEWY!

And, so, in my quest, to find the perfect pair of black shoes, err, Blondie recipe, I discovered a very simple, very delicious, basic recipe over at Smitten Kitchen. I took it, Madaline and I baked it, and we made it ours. I was a happy camper - and now that I have such a dynamite base recipe - my mind is swarming with different flavor combination.


Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars:

1 cup of Butter - Melted
2 Cups of Brown Sugar (I used light brown sugar & lightly packed it)
2 Eggs
2 Teaspoons of Good Vanilla Extract (I never measure this - I just pour in what I think looks like what the recipie is asking for)
2 cups of All Purpose Flour
1 Bag of Toffee Pieces (I used Heath Bar Pieces - sold in the baking isle)
1/2 - 3/4 of a Bag of Chocolate Chips

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Butter or Spray grease a 9 x 13 inch - set aside

Mix the melted butter & brown sugar until smooth and well combined. (My toddler did this with a wooden spoon). Add the eggs and vanilla - mix until combined. Mix in the flour and once that is incorporated, gently stir in the toffee pieces and chocolate chips.

Pour into your prepared pan and bake for about 35 - 45 minutes, depending on if you want Ooey & Gooey or Soft & Chewy. Mine were in the oven for about 40 minutes or so. These need to cool completely before cutting. Actually, if you can, let them sit over night first before cutting or eating. My thought is that they actually taste their best, after they have sat for about 24 hours.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Are these the ones that you made on Wednesday, which I couldn't eat because they were probably too much white-flour for me? Because damn, they look good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made some similar to this from Martha Stewart that are amazing. I'd forgotten all about them....now I want some.

    ReplyDelete