11.18.2009

Simple Supper


I don't have a lot of time in the evenings to make dinner - I don't get home till shortly after 5:30. However, it is still important to me, as a Mom, to put a nice home cooked meal on the table.

Yesterday morning, before I left for work, I shoved a beef roast in the crock pot with an entire bottle of my favorite BBQ sauce. When I got home, I pulled the beef out - and set it aside. I cut about 4 medium sized white potatoes, leaving the skins on, and set them to boil in a shallow pan. I then, skimmed the fat off the BBQ sauce, and transferred it to an sauce pot of the stove. I whisked in a couple of spoons fulls of flour and brought it to a boil. While my potatoes simmered, I worked at shredding up the beef and dumped it into the boiling BBQ mixture on the stove.

Once this was done, my potatoes were fork tender, since I had cut them into small pieces, and so I drained them. As they were draining in the sink, I put some bake off biscuits on a cookie sheet and threw them in the oven. I then melted a 1/2 a stick of butter in the pan I just cooked the potatoes in & added the potatoes, in a single layer, back in the pan. I then simply sprinkled them with salt, pepper and some garlic powder. (And, folks, the key to crispy taters - put them in the pan and LEAVE THEM ALONE - I only flipped my taters once, after they had been cooking in the pan for about 7 minutes). The oven timer went off, the biscuits came out of the oven, I plated it all up and we sat down to dinner.

2 comments:

  1. That looks like the perfect winter meal!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you box that and possible ship to Geneva?

    ReplyDelete